Monday, May 23, 2011

Just after seeing yer man Obama

That's my terrible Dublin impersonation. I was planning on doing a London Day 1 post today, but thought this might be more timely. President Obama was visiting Ireland today and there was a massive rally on College Green just in front of Trinity, with bands and celebrities and finally the man himself! People were queuing for hours during the day, but I had an interview for my dissertation scheduled so couldn't make it during the day. Hoping they would still let latecomers in, I hustled down at around 5:00, when the garda luckily stopped searching people and just let us all in - I think they figured we'd be too far away from him to do any danger anyway. I got in just as the Taoiseach finished up and the President stepped forward, and ended up just under one of the big screens showing him. So, in the end, I didn't actually see him 'in person' but I figure it's close enough!

 Garda everywhere - luckily they're all quite nice and helpful.

 Massive crowds - this was just when I was waiting to get in past the barriers, not even at the event itself.

 Look at his charming self.

Love the print on Michelle's dress - thought she looked fab!

I won't lie, I teared up a bit when Obama came out, and a bit more as he talked about the American life story being one of immigrants and of hopes. It was just a moment of 'this is my president, I voted for him, and here are all these people in a foreign country out to support him, happy, waving American flags.' It was this weird ex-pat patriotic moment. Plus, I mean, it's not every day you get to see the President of the United States speak, in your own country or otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment