Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Outfit Post: Frida Kahlo

This outfit reminded me of a much tamed-down version of something Frida Kahlo would wear. I think I was inspired by the book The Lacuna, which is about a young boy who grows up working for and with Frida Kahlo, Diego Rivera, and Lev Trostky. The descriptions in it of Kahlo as a sort of Mexican queen, inheritor of the regality of her Mayan ancestors, who dressed in full, flowing skirts and blouses and stomped around with serious authority, really inspired me. Especially when that image is contrasted with the very serious and ongoing medical problems she had all her life; those very skirts covered legs damaged by polio and a trolley accident.

Anyway, even though this is not the best picture ever, due to the complete lack of light at 6:00 PM, it shows what I was going for. It also highlights my new green belt, one of the only items I've ever bought for full price from Anthropologie. I love it - green is a very new color in my wardrobe, but I think this rich, dark shade will play nicely with many of my existing pieces.




beeteedubs, whenever I think about Frida Kahlo I always associate it with the makeover scene in Princess Diaries - "I love your eyebrows! We'll call them Frida and Kahlo." Anyone else? No?

No comments:

Post a Comment